Jasmine Jeweled Rice Persian-Style
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup roasted pistachios
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped (I used slivered almonds and skipped the chopping)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup jasmine rice (can substitute basmati or any other non-sticky rice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (reduced from 1 teaspoon)
- 1 -2 star anise
- 2 1⁄8 cups boiling water
- 2 red onions
- Reserve a tablespoon each of pistachios, apricots and almonds for garnish.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a medium saucepan on low heat. Toss the rice in the butter, then add the remaining pistachios, apricots and almonds, plus the salt and star anise.
- Add boiling water and simmer. Cover and check after 15 minutes, but do not stir.
- Slice onions thinly and place on a baking tray in a flat layer. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons of butter and place in a 350-degree oven. Bake, tossing occasionally, until crispy.
- Place rice mixture in a serving dish and garnish with the reserved pistachios, almonds and apricots, plus the crispy onions.
- Heat remaining butter almost to bubbling, then pour over the rice so that it glistens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!