Jamaican Escovitch - Fish Served W/Spicy Marinade and Vegetables
photo by mightyro_cooking4u
- Ready In:
- 4 red snapper fillets (or 2 whole red snapper)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 leeks, sliced (white and light green only)
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 4 sprigs thyme, fresh
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, minced
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Rinse the snapper and pat dry with paper towels. With a sharp paring knife, score the fish 3 times on skin side. Season the fish with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large non-stick sauté pan on medium-high heat. Sear fish (in batches if necessary), skin side up until fish is browned. Turn and sear for 1 minute on skin side. Place on a platter.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to pan. Sauté leeks, carrots, thyme, scotch bonnet and allspice until leeks are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar to pan and cook until evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour vegetables over fish.
- Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!