Italian Herb Braid
photo by Outta Here
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 3⁄4 - 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 ounce fast rise yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- In large bowl, mix 1 1/4 C flour, sugar, yeast, oregano, thyme and salt.
- In another bowl, combine water, butter and milk.
- Microwave until 130 degrees f. Gradually add to dry ingredients.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium, then 2 minutes on high.
- With spoon, stir in enough flour to make soft elastic dough. Knead in adequate flour so that the dough is not sticky. (About 4 minutes.)
- Divide dough into thirds and roll each into a 24" rope.
- Braid three ropes and tuck ends under.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place on greased baking sheet over a shallow pan half full of boiling water. Cover and let rise 25 minutes.
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I admit I was skeptical of the method for this recipe. Only one rising session? And over the boiling water? Well, guess what? It WORKS!!! This is a delicious loaf with a crusty exterior and soft interior. I used your ABM instructions in your note just through the "knead" cycle. My braiding technique could use some work, but since I plan on making this often, I will get lots of practice! :) Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.