How to Fire Roast Tomatoes
photo by Isaac H.
- Ready In:
- roma tomato, any amount needed (work best because they have dense, meaty flesh and few seeds that hold up well on the grill)
- olive oil
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise (from stem to tip) and brush the cut sides with olive oil. Place the tomatoes cut side down over a medium flame on a gas grill. If using a charcoal grill, place the tomatoes in the middle of the grill over briquettes that are medium-hot.
- When the tomatoes develop dark char marks (about 5 to 8 minutes depending on size and heat of grill). Continue cooking until the skins begin to blacken in spots. Then, remove the tomatoes from the grill, pile them in a bowl, tightly cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- When the tomatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off the blackened skins and dice the flesh, making sure to reserve the juices.
- Use immediately or pack tomatoes in a freezer proof container with juices.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!