Hoppin' John With Shrimp (Weight Watchers)
Weight Watchers version of this popular dish. Points Value: 6. Serve this southern specialty with a side of brown rice (1/2 cup cooked rice will up the Points value by 2).
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage or 1/2 lb hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green peppers, celery and onions
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) bag chopped fresh kale
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup sliced drained roasted sweet peppers
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and garlic; cook, breaking up sausage with wooden spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, paprika and red pepper flakes; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Transfer sausage mixture to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in kale and black-eyed peas. Cover and cook until kale is tender, 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Stir in shrimp, roasted peppers and oregano. Cover and cook on high until shrimp are just opaque in center, about 30 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation