Hono Bread - Honokakor
8-10 bread rounds
- 2 ounces active compressed yeast
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons anise seed, ground
- 3 teaspoons fennel, ground
- 2 cups rye flour
- 8 cups all-purpose flour (approx)
- Crumble the yeast in a mixing bowl.
- In saucepan, melt the butter and then add the milk.
- Heat to 99M-0F/37M-0C or lukewarm.
- Dissolve the yeast in a little of the warm milk.
- Add the rest of the liquid, syrup, salt, aniseed, fennel, and rye flour to the yeast. Stir together and add the all-purpose flour.
- Work the dough until smooth and shiny.
- Cover and let rise for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead well.
- Divide into 8 - 10 sections and roll each section into a smooth ball.
- Cover and let rise under a baking cloth in a warm room for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Then, with a rolling pin, roll out large rounds of bread, about 10" (27 cm) in diameter.
- Place bread on greased baking sheet and allow to rise for 5 minutes.
- Prick surface with a fork.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Cover and let cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!