Homemade String Cheese
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Place cheese in a Teflon saucepan and add a dash of mahleb and salt and a sprinkling of black seeds.
- Heat on low until cheese is melted thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and drain water.
- Pick up hot cheese in a lump, and make a hole in the center to look like a doughnut.
- Stretch and turn the cheese to form a large loop.
- Double the strand of cheese, making two strands of cheese of even length.
- Repeat, stretching and looping; the more you stretch the stringier the cheese becomes.
- Repeat stretching several times.
- Twist ends in opposite directions and intertwine rope into a braid.
- Place one end through the loop of the other to lock it.
- Set cheese aside to dry thoroughly.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze.
- To serve, open braid, cut one loop and pull cheese apart into thin strands.
- Serve with pocket bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am no longer single. I found me an amazing man and we married, it has been almost 3 years now. My little girl is 13 now and she is amazing. I went to school and got my Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice and I work for the State as a Parole Officer now. I have realized that I hate cooking. I really do hate it. Luckily I married a man who loves to cook. He hates to bake, and I actually do like to bake. So I am what one would consider a somewhat mediocre baker. I still think about my Zaar Angel all the time. She knows who she is. I do enjoy to crochet, I do that a lot here lately. I use to do counted cross stitch, yet I don't do that anymore. I can't watch TV as well as I can while I crochet.