MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Bratwurst adapted from Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book Easy and Good for the beginner!
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork butt (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 lb veal shoulder (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1⁄2 lb pork fat (cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 medium hog casing
- Freeze pork, veal, and fat until slightly frozen -- about 1 hour.
- Grind meats using the 1/8" plate. Add seasonings and milk. Mix thoroughly by hand, kneading and squeezing mixture to distribute ingredients evenly, or use the paddle attachment on your stand mixer, pausing occasionally to clear paddle.
- Fry a small patty, taste, and adjust seasonings if needed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare 1+ meter of hog casings according to directions on the package. Tip: After thoroughly rinsing the inside of the casing with water, slip one end over the sausage stuffing horn and run a little bit of water into the casing through the horn, then you can easily slip the entire casing onto the horn.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION