Home Made Soft Chocolate (Retro Romanian Recipe)
photo by bere g.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 500 g powdered milk
- 500 g caster sugar
- 250 g butter
- 100 g cocoa powder
- 9 tablespoons water
- nuts (to garnish) (optional)
- In a saucepan mix the sugar, cocoa and water into a paste. Put the saucepan over low heat and cook until the sugar melts, mixing occasionally. You know the sugar has melted when you can't feel the sugar crystals in the syrup anymore. The paste should have turned into thick syrup. Put in the butter and stir until it melts and it's incorporated into the mixture.
- Put the powder milk in a bowl and start adding the syrup mixing continuously. When the mixture gets too thick, start mixing by hand as you would with a dough. When it doesn't stick to the bowl anymore it's done. Move it into shapes and place it in the fridge.
- After 8 hours it reaches maximum thickness and it's ready to serve. It should have a firm consistency but still easy to byte. It will not be crunchy like a normal chocolate.
- You can store it outside the fridge in a cool place or even in the fridge if you want the chocolate to stay harder.
- Twists: Feel free to add in nuts, vanilla extract or whatever other things you like in your chocolate. If you prefer your chocolate darker your can replace some of the milk with cocoa.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!