Herbal Basil Caesar Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 (10 inch) baguette, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 cup basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 (1 lb) package romaine lettuce hearts, leaves separated and washed well, then halved crosswise
- 1 cup coarsely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle.
- Toss bread with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a large 4-sided sheet pan, then spread out in 1 layer. Toast in oven, stirring halfway through, until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with motor running, drop garlic into a food processor and finely chop. Add egg, lemon juice, anchovy paste, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and pulse until combined. With motor running, add remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a slow stream, blending until emulsified. Add herbs and blend until dressing turns green and herbs are finely chopped.
- Toss romaine with dressing, croutons, and half of cheese in a large bowl. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!