Herb-Braised Chicken With Tomatoes and Mushrooms (Low Carb)
A great tasting stove top chicken dish to whip up for both a regular family dinner or when company is coming. If you're not watching your carbs, a side of rice pilaf goes nicely.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, cook bacon on medium for 4 minutes or until lightly browned but not crisp; turn frequently.
- Add mushrooms and onions; stir occasionally and cook until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Mix the seasonings together and sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, garlic and broth to pan.
- Bring to a boil and stir, getting up all the browned bits.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn chicken and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and spooning sauce over chicken.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I tried this recipe using all thighs (my favorite part). For the most part, I really like it, but, I think the bacon was overpowering. I'd use half the bacon and remove it before serving next time. I also tried a second version without the bacon, and added about 3 or 4 ounces of tomato paste. Loved it! My friend said, "you mean you discovered chicken cacciatori!"<br/><br/>I said, "Yes...yes, I did."Reply
see 1 more