Heather's Crockpot Dressing
- Ready In:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 12 cups dry bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (as needed)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, celery, mushroom, and parsley in butter, stirring frequently.
- Spoon cooked vegetables over bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl. Season with poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Pour in enough broth to moisten, and mix in eggs. Transfer mixture to slow cooker, and cover.
- Cook on High for 45 minutes, then reduce heat to Low, and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was good, using portabellas and shitakes, but I wouldn't cook it for 8 hours. I had planned to cook it for the 45 minutes on high and 3-4 on low but ended up cooking for 5 1/2 on low and it was mushier than I'd prefer, but the flavor was good. I sauteed the veggies the day before, then heated them up to stir in the bread cubes today for faster prep on cooking day.<br/>Thanks,<br/>Jan
We really enjoyed this recipe. The flavor was there, and even better, it did not hog up space in the oven! That's so key on Thanksgiving. I noticed that if you stirred it only once in this process, it formed a nice crunchy buttery crust on the bottom like what you would get in the oven. So put down that spoon, and let it go the full time to avoid mush.