Healthy Vegetable Soup
photo by Oliver1010
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 32 ounces vegetable broth or 32 ounces beef broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups mixed vegetables (mushrooms, okra, kale, zucchini, bok choy, artichoke hearts, broccoli, carrots, celery, peppers, tom)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1 lb shrimp or 1 lb tofu
- 1 1 cup orzo pasta or 1 cup pasta
- 1⁄2 1/2 cup cilantro or 1/2 cup basil
- lemon wedge
- In a large pot, heat oil.
- Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute about 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, vegetables and seasonings except for parsley.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20-60 minutes.
- Add protein and starch and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in parsley or other garnish.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze in lemon juice and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking soups and stews, especially in the slow cooker.