Healthy Hermit Bars
photo by YummySmellsca
- Ready In:
1 9" pan
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup hot coffee
- 2 tablespoons soft coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄3 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9" pan with parchment.
- Whisk together the flaxseed and coffee in a small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl beat together oil, sugar, salt and molasses until well combined.
- Add vanilla and the flax mixture and beat in well.
- Stir in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and cardamom until well combined.
- Fold in the raisins and nuts.
- Spread in the pan and bake for 15-20 minutes (I usually do 18).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"