Hash Brown Benedict
photo by karenury
- Ready In:
12 hash brown benedicts
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 12 slices Canadian bacon, cooked until lightly browned and kept warm
- 12 poached eggs
- Rinse the potatoes, drain and pat dry. In a bowl, combine the potatoes, cornstarch, salt and black pepper.
- In 10-inch fry pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Working in batches, form the potato mixture into 1/4-cup patties and drop them into the oil. Cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in a 250°F oven.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice and 2 teaspoons water.
- Transfer to a double boiler set over medium-low heat, until the water is just simmering inside the double boiler. Whisk constantly until the mixture begins to thicken, then remove from the heat and whisk for 1 minute more.
- Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Whisking constantly, slowly stream in the melted butter until incorporated, then whisk in the chives.
- Keep the hollandaise sauce warm.
- Place 2 hash brown patties on each plate. Top each patty with 1 slice of Canadian bacon, 1 poached egg and a spoonful of the hollandaise sauce. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We really enjoy eggs benedict for a special treat at my house, and this version, using a hash brown base, now reigns supreme. I confess - I did make a few adjustments - I omitted the cayenne (this time) and chives (didn't have any) and replaced the Canadian bacon with regular bacon. Did I mention we now prefer a hash brown base over the traditional english muffin? Thanks SarahBeth! Made for Everyday Holiday Tag-Jan'10.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am Sarah.</p> <p>I am married to a wonderful man. He is a great Husband and Father.</p> <p>In March of 2011 we welcomed our daughter Evie into this world. She is everything and nothing I expected, and is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done with my life.</p> <p>I love to cook, and eat, and laugh, and drink and play.</p> <p>I have a wonderful life.</p> <p><em>There are things you do because they feel right, and they may make no sense and they make no money and it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other and to eat each other's cooking and say it was good. ~Brian Andreas, Story People~</em></p> <p><em> </em></p> <p><em>Get to know our family at www.itsavol.blogspot.com</em></p> <p><img src=http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss316/sarahbethevans/bfe23bac.jpg alt= width=477 height=639 /></p>