- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1⁄3 lb bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- In large skillet, sauté green pepper and onions in butter until tender.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in the ham, sausage and green pepper mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 10-inch ovenproof skillet or 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Join The Conversation
This was quick and easy to make, smelled great as it was baking and came out of the oven so pretty looking. We really enjoyed this flavourful cornbread. I loved the textures in it. I used orange peppers and hot & spicy Italian sausage. I've frozen the leftovers to use this weekend to stuff my chicken. Yum, I can't wait. Thanks so much for sharing Lainey.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!