Halloween or Bonfire Toffee
photo by kiwidutch
- Ready In:
1 1/2 pounds
- 1 lb demerara sugar
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 3 ounces butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 ounces black treacle
- 4 ounces golden syrup
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved.
- Don't let it boil.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir until it bubbles and boils (don't leave it for a second- stir it constantly!).
- Test to see if it's ready by dripping a teaspoon full into a cup of cold water.
- If it sets, it's ready!
- Grease a flat tin with a thin layer of butter and pour in the mixture.
- Leave to set.
- When it's rock hard, shatter and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We liked it.. I adopted you for Pick-a-Chef Spring 2007 and this looked like a good Birthday party recipe. The taste is great.. but.. we found that it was so chewy that a tiny piece almost glued your mouth shut, so it was less of a success than I had hoped. I poured mine out really really thinly .. onto a large commerical serving tray (metal) and a cookie sheet with sides and I definiately wouldn't have wanted it have been any thicker. Also, I needed to boil it for more than 10 minutes, stirring constantly before it got anywhere near setting in the water, not a probalem per se but the cooking time given definiately needs adjusting. This makes a LOT, especially given that such small pieces are such a mouthful.. it was popular becuase of the taste but not many parents or kids went back for seconds becuase it was so incredibly chewy to eat. Please see my Rating System: 3 stars for the great taste but a recipe that wasn't a real success over all. It was definiately worth a try, Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
- Married with a beautiful baby boy (http://www.rees-bevan.com/kieran) - Love cooking/baking and trying new stuff in the kitchen - Web programmer and public speaker - Originally from Cape Town, South Africa... arrived London 1999, moved to Sydney in Sept 2005.