Grilled Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms (Vegetarian)
photo by partysweets
- Ready In:
- 8 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed (about 8x3-inch round)
- 8 small firm plum tomatoes (sliced into thin slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/3 cup finely grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) jar artichoke hearts (drained, tough leaves removed then coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 large green onion (very finely chopped)
- hot sauce, to taste
- seasoned salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl mix all stuffing ingredients together adjusting hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill until ready to use if not using right away.
- Place the mushroom caps on large baking sheet or platter and brush all over with with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with tops of the caps lightly with salt and pepper.
- Using a large spoon or spatula divide/spread the stuffing mixture between the mushroom caps.
- Arrange and spread out the tomato slices in a "spiral-like" fashion on top of the stuffing.
- Carefully brush the tomatoes with olive oil then season with a pinch of salt and black pepper, then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese or mozza cheese.
- Grill at 250F or medium-low heat for about 7-8 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and the topping is hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made these last week and they were delicious. I halved the recipe because it was just my hubby and I and we had 6 small caps instead. I chopped and cooked the stems in some olive oil and italian bread crumbs and folded it into the mixture. Only had large tmatoes so topped each with one slice. We did 3 w/parm, 3 w/mozz and both preferred the mozz but the parm was still yummy. Served with couscous and a salad with a delicious strawberry vinaigrette I found on here (Recipe #89778) I left some comments/suggestions about that too. Hubby loved it all. Thanks for the recipe!
These are very tasty and I would definitely recommend trying them! However I felt they were missing something. This is a recipe I will absolutely be playing around with. Because the mushrooms are so juicy and the filling is so creamy they just need some "bite" in my opinion (especially as a main dish/side, as a first coarse they're perfect!) I added some chopped walnuts and really enjoyed that , but I didn't use enough. I think I may try adding in some cooked rice along with more nuts. I was nervous about the canned artichokes. I never liked them before and I NEVER used them before, but I wanted something different and they were excellent in this recipe. Thanks Kitten!
Outstanding! Even my 3 year old who hates mushrooms ate this with delight. At least 4-5 good sized bites! Amazing! I won't be missing steak anytime soon..... Here's what I changed: -For the herbs I added half dried basil and half dried oregano. Fresh would probably be even better. -I used neufchatel (1/3 fat cream cheese) rather than cream cheese. -Used grape tomato rather than plums, since grapes looked better at the store. A little more work, but a great winter tomato. -Didn't use salt until after cooking and added it to taste. -Did add some of the Paul Prudhomme's salt free seasoning to the mushroom cap prior to assembling. Recipe made the perfect amount of stuffing for 8 portabellos. Cooked for 10 minutes on the grill. Perfection! Thanks for a great recipe!
These mushrooms are truly outstanding! My boyfriend is a trained chef and he is very hard to impress - he loved them! They will be a staple at my summer BBQs this year! I used fresh oregano but thought it was a little overpowering. Next time I will use more garlic and less oregano. Thanks Kittencal!
I was a little skeptical about this combination...but it was wonderful. I eat Portabella mushrooms all the time and wanted something a little different and this was it! Great flavor will make again! They were delicious. I live alone, so scaled back all the ingredients for two large mushrooms...wonderful. Thanks for sharing.