Greek Orzo Bake
I whipped this up one day to compliment some Greek BBQ chicken legs. This recipe is great warm or cold. It's also versatile, so you can add to it whatever suits your taste.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup orzo pasta (1/2 lb)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled (I used reduced fat and it was just fine)
- 6 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cook Orzo until al dente.
- While the orzo is cooking, sauté onion and garlic until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Add the olives, oregano and basil to the pan and mix well.
- Add the drained orzo, crumbled feta cheese, olive oil and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (keep in mind the olives are pretty salty, so you don't need to add much).
- Transfer to an oven-proof covered baking dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove, serve and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Mmmmm this is outstanding! I can't seem to keep out of it LOL I used 6 oz orzo, 7 oz sheep & goat's milk feta (nice & strong so using less than 1 cup was OK), red onion (because it needed used), and 9 oz strawberry tomatoes on the vine because of the issues with larger tomatoes right now. I tasted before adding salt & because of the feta it did not need any but I did add a generous amount of fresh ground pepper. Thank you so much for this recipe - I will be making it again for sure!