Greek Chicken Souvlaki
From “ A Spicy Perspective” online recipe conversation. What a delicious way to use some of those lemons weighing down the tree! It was a big hit with my writing group’s hungry Board members!
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 3 lemons, juicy
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- parsley and crushed red pepper flakes (to garnish)
For the Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 cup cucumber, shredded
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped, fresh
- Place 8-10 wooden skewers in a shallow pan of water to soak before grilling. Soak 30 minutes.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice from one lemon. Add the olive oil, garlic, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Toss and let the chicken marinade for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a second bowl mix the ingredients for the Tzatziki sauce. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir well, then put in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Pre-heat the grill to medium heat. Slice the remaining lemons into thin rounds. Slide 7-8 pieces of chicken onto each skewer with a folded lemon slice in between every 2 to 3 chunks. Once all the skewers are ready, grill them for 5 minutes per side, 10 minutes total. Be careful that the wooden skewers are not resting directly on the grill.
- Break open one chicken chunk to test for doneness.
- Serve the chicken and the tzatziki sauce for dipping.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation