Greek Chicken Souvlaki
photo by Vicki Kaye
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 3 lemons, juicy
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- parsley and crushed red pepper flakes (to garnish)
For the Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 cup cucumber, shredded
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped, fresh
- Place 8-10 wooden skewers in a shallow pan of water to soak before grilling. Soak 30 minutes.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice from one lemon. Add the olive oil, garlic, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Toss and let the chicken marinade for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a second bowl mix the ingredients for the Tzatziki sauce. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir well, then put in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Pre-heat the grill to medium heat. Slice the remaining lemons into thin rounds. Slide 7-8 pieces of chicken onto each skewer with a folded lemon slice in between every 2 to 3 chunks. Once all the skewers are ready, grill them for 5 minutes per side, 10 minutes total. Be careful that the wooden skewers are not resting directly on the grill.
- Break open one chicken chunk to test for doneness.
- Serve the chicken and the tzatziki sauce for dipping.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a busy mom of a 17-year-old college bound daughter and wife of a wonderful native Californian. (I myself hail from neighboring Arizona.). As a psychologist, I spend a lot of time inside people's heads, and there is nothing more soothing than to come home and begin chopping vegetables, warming olive oil, and doing things that are tangible, earthy, and will ultimately produce immediate gratification for those I love.</p> 8790267"