Grape Leaves (Egyptian Version)
These are a very special treat and disappear quickly!
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground round (or ground lamb)
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice (cooked)
- 1 small onion (chopped fine)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed or minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (1 quart) jar pickled grape leaves, in brine, well rinsed and drained, stems cut off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix the first 7 ingredients together in a bowl (hands work the best).
- Roll or shape a small amount of meat mixture into a log shape (about the diameter of an index finger.
- Take one grape leaf and lay flat.
- Place the meat roll about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom in the middle of the leaf.
- Roll the bottom of the leaf up around the meat. Fold the left and right sides in over the roll and fold under. Continue to roll up the rest of the leaf.
- Place all of your stuffed grape leaves tightly packed together in a 9 x 13" pan.
- Cover with just enough water to meat the level of the grape leaves.
- Add olive oil and lemon juice to the water and gently stire.
- Bring to a light boil either on top of the stove or in your oven and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION