Grandma's Clam Chowder
- Ready In:
- 1 lb chopped clam
- 6 slices thick slab bacon (cut into 1-inch squares)
- 10 small unpeeled yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (or small white)
- 2 quarts fresh turkey broth (or chicken broth)
- 2 large carrots (peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch rounds)
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 2 -3 large celery ribs (trimmed and sliced thin)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 2 turkish bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Lay out bacon in the bottom of a large stock pot over low heat. Render bacon slowly until nearly crisp but while grease is still very liquid (about 10 minutes).
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until nearly soft. Turn up heat slightly if necessary (about 10 minutes).
- Add potatoes to vegetables and mix well.
- Sift in flour slowly, stirring constantly, until flour and bacon grease make a roux.
- Add salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Add stock to cover vegetables (no more than 1" over).
- Stir, add bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- When just at boiling, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked through but not mushy (20-25 min.).
- Add clams and increase heat until just boiling then remove from heat.
- Stir in cream.
- Ladle to bowls and garnish with parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!