Grandma Rose's Honey Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 3⁄4 cups honey
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees; generously grease and flour two 9x5 loaf pans.
- In a large1-quart saucepan, combine the coffee and honey and bring to a boil; let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg; stir in the oil and brown sugar.
- In another large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Stir in the nuts and raisins; (the recipe said that Grandpa Sid always said, "Not enough nuts!" so Grandma always put extra in---smile).
- Alternately stir the dry flour mixture and the wet honey mixture into the egg mixture.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pans and bake for 70 minutes or until the cakes are springy to the touch.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn onto wire cooling racks to cool.
- Wrap tightly in foil and let sit for 24 hours, so that the flavor of the honey has time to develop.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>John 3:3 <br />Psalm 91 <br /><br />We are born-again Christians and love the Lord Jesus Christ with all our being.? We attend a small Christian and Missionary Alliance church in our town.? <a href=http://www.cmalliance.org>http://www.cmalliance.org</a><br /><br />My family consists of my husband who was a microbiologist but is now retired, two children (daughter and son), four grandchildren, and soon to be two great grandchildren, a girl and a boy. I homeschooled my oldest granddaughter up to a senior in high school. She is now 29 years old. My oldest grandson, who is now 25; my youngest grandson, age 20; my youngest granddaughter is in seventh-grade. Our oldest granddaughter blessed us with our first great granddaughter and soon to be great grandson.? She is the cutest little one.? I love them all. <br /><br />Hosta is my favorite plant, the only plant I own. I now have 123 varieties and they all have names. I add to them each year. I love to do cross stitch, paint, scrapbook, and rubber stamping. <br /><br />I have a rare genetic lung disase called Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Type ZZ) that most people have not even heard about. Most doctors may have heard of it but don't know an awful lot about it and so many times it goes misdiagnosed. Feel free to z-mail me if you want to know more about it or go to the website?<a href=http://www.alphaone.org/>http://www.alphaone.org/</a></p>