photo by Heather N.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
1 stock pot
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top round steaks, trimmed and pounded out
- 29 ounces canned stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion (to taste)
- 1 green pepper
- 4 -5 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots (1/2 a bag)
- 6 -8 russet potatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) carton beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (only used to brown meat)
- 1⁄4 cup flour (just to dredge meat)
- salt and pepper
- Peel and cut potatoes into quarters.
- Cut celery stalks into 3rds.
- Slice green pepper into chunks or strips. (Don't cut veggies too small as this soup cooks for a long time and small pieces will cook down to nothing, you want to be able to eat pieces of them).
- Slice up onion into quarters.
- Rinse carrots.
- Pound out top round steak and cut it into large pieces.
- On a plate combine flour, salt & pepper. Dredge steak pieces in this mixture. That means coat all sides of steak.
- In a large stock pot add 1-2T extra virgin olive oil. Brown meat in stock pot on both sides. Drain oil out of stock pot, but keep steak in there. (No need to cook through, you are only looking to brown meat as it will cook in soup mixture).
- Pour both cans of whole stewed tomatoes into pot.
- Add about 3/4 of the 32oz carton of beef broth.
- Add in all other veggies
- There should be enough liquid to cover everything in the pot, if not add some water or any remaining beef broth.
- Mix in minced onion, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to barely a simmer.
- Cook 3-4 hours. The meat will fall apart and is very tender.
- Serve with dinner rolls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Don't forget to KISS the cook!! :D I love to experiment with food. I love bold flavors. I love to cook and find it especially pleasing when I have someone special to cook for. ? 8726894"