Garlic and Wine Braised Chicken (Dark Meat)
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs chicken thighs or 2 lbs chicken legs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil, for browning chicken
- 10 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 cup celery, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- Rinse chicken and pat dry well with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add just a touch of olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Heat oil over medium high heat just until the oil in the pan begins to shimmer. Add chicken skin side down and sear that side only until golden brown. The chicken will release from the pan when ready- do not force it. May need to work in two batches. Remove chicken and reserve.
- Pour off all fat leaving only a light film on the bottom of the skillet. You can also add a touch of cooking spray if you like. Add celery and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until it begins to soften and turn golden. About 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one more minute, stirring to keep everything from scorching.
- Add wine and stir, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Bring to a boil, uncovered, and reduce by about half, about 3-5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken skin side up, and continue to simmer, partially covered, until cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a platter. Stir in green onion and parsley, reserving a little to garnish if desired. Bring back to a boil to reduce further and thicken if desired. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta,.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just found this in my private notes. Sorry I am so late in reviewing this. I browned the generously seasoned (using a lot of pepper and Adodo seasoning) chicken in a large pan then transferred the chicken to a crock pot; placing the chicken over 3 pounds of sliced carrots and 2 stalks of sliced celery. Used a whole bulb of garlic that i placed with the carrots and celery. Skipped the broth and used 1 cup of vermouth to deglaze the pan then added the drippings to the crock cooked on low for 6 hours. Topped with a bunch of fresh parsley and a bunch of scallions. Tender delish!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Proud Zaar original member! Very disappointed with the new site.