- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 9 ounces parsnips, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb new potato, scrubbed
- 1 lb baby carrots, trimmed
- salt and pepper
- To make the stuffing, put the parsnips and chopped carrots into a pan, half cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender.
- Drain well, then process in a blender or food processor to a smooth puree.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Mix the bread crumbs, nutmeg and parsley into puree and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put stuffing into neck end of chicken and push a little under the skin over the breast meat.
- Secure flap of skin with a small metal skewer or toothpick.
- Place the bunch of parsley and onion inside the cavity of the chicken, then place chicken in a large roasting pan.
- Spread butter over skin and season with salt and pepper, cover with foil and place in preheated 375F oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet and lightly brown potatoes.
- Transfer potatoes to roasting pan and add the baby carrots.
- Baste chicken and continue to cook for a further hour, basting after 30 minutes.
- Remove foil for last 20 minutes to let the skin crisp.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I work as a professional stagehand for my local union (IATSE Local 26, West Michigan Stagehands), which takes me all over the state and lets me meet all sorts of interesting people. My primary training is in lighting and wardrobe, and I can be found backstage at everything from rock concerts to opera/ballet/symphony/Broadway tour performances to hockey games to corporate meetings and Presidential appearances. In June of 2005, my Local elected me to serve as a delegate to our International convention in mid-July, which was held in Honolulu. In November of 2008, I was elected to my third three-year term as Recording Secretary of my union local. Currently, I am the news poster for www.megatechnews, a computer tech site affiliated with several other tech sites. My biggest passion is union activism. The more I get involved, the more I want to be involved. I also read like a fiend and enjoy "discovering" local or regional bands at local clubs. Recently, I started making jewelry again after a more than ten-year hiatus. It started as a project for Christmas presents, but doing it reminded me how much I enjoy it, so I may be resurrecting my business soon. I never duplicate a piece, because the entire point is that I do custom work, and will take orders to suit. The pieces I have done are in a photo album on Facebook located here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=21364&id=1373365950&l=5be410742d