Frugal Gourmet's Chicken and Lentils Middle Eastern Style
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups lentils
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon dill weed, dried
- 3 lbs frying chicken, cut up and pan browned
- 1⁄2 cup fresh-grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- Soak lentils in 8 cups water in bowl for 5-6 hours. Place lentils w/ the water in a pot w/ the salt, garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and dill weed. Simmer for about 1 hour, covered, until tender but not mushy.
- Add the lemon juice to the lentil mixture. Place the chicken pieces in a casserole and pour the lentil mixture over them, and Top with the cheese, and Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for about 1 hr 15 minute (Might need to add extra water during baking.) Top w/yogurt before serving.
- Smith suggests serving w/a crunchy bread, Spinach Salad, and a heavy red wine.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This dish tasted great but there was way too much liquid so I believe the casserole should be UNcovered, not covered, during baking. I've got a copy of Jeff Smith's book and he definitely has "covered" in the instructions. I had to drain off a couple cups of liquid before topping it with the yogurt. The yogurt really brings the dish together. I will be making this tasty dish again, but uncovered.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love trying new dishes. For me, food is a way of experiencing the world without leaving my home, and I'm hoping that as my two sons get older that I can convince them to come with me on my culinary adventures.