Frugal Gourmet's Beer and Cheese Soup
This recipe is by Jeff Smith and was published in his book "The Frugal Gourmet". Hope you enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 6 cups chicken soup base
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- parsley (to garnish)
- Polish sausage (optional) or knackwurst of frankfurter (optional)
- Saute the carrots, celery, and onions in the oil until lightly browned. Bring the soup stock to a boil, add the vegetables, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Dredge the cheese in the flour, and mix into the soup, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Keep stirring until you serve.
- Add the salt, pepper, mustard, Tabasco, and Worcestershire. Finally, add the beer, and stir until all is hot. Garnish with parsley, and serve.
- You may add sliced cooked sausage to this soup; add just before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a good recipe, but I found the beer flavor to be a bit overpowering(which is probably just me!) and I was thinking the soup would be a little thicker and creamier.The cheese didn't melt smoothly into the broth. I think these things are easily fixed, so the recipe is definatly worth another try. The broth part was very flavorful Made for ZWT 7.Reply