Fried Mozzarella Pockets
- Ready In:
- 1 (8 ounce) package whole-milk mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices soft italian sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
OPTIONAL (for adding with the cheese)
- sliced mushrooms, olives,minced sun-dried tomatoes,chopped pepperoni,etc.
- chopped sage or parsley, for garnish
- marinara sauce, for dipping
- Cut the mozzarella into 12 chunks; place each chunk on one half of a bread slice and fold the other half over the top.
- (Add any other filling ingredients with the cheese, if desired.) Press edges together to seal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Spread the breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Dip the cheese pockets into the egg mixture, allowing excess to drip back in the bowl.
- Dredge in the breadcrumbs, tuning to coat evenly and completely.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, heat both oils over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Working in batches, fry the pockets, turning once, until deep golden brown--about 4 minutes each side.
- Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with sage.
- Serve hot with marinara sauce in dipping cups.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Oh my gosh! These are delicious! I made them as directed, using Provolone as I don't care for Mozzarella, and served them with spaghetti and meatballs. Yum! They are so easy to make! I can't wait to make them for my veggie daughters - I will try them in the oven as they try to avoid anything fried. Thanks so much for sharing!