Fresh Walnuts in Syrup (Glyko Karydaki)
photo by Artandkitchen
- Ready In:
- 1hr 2mins
- If you cannot prepare the nuts the same day, you can store them in the fridge for about two weeks.
- Wash the nuts and peel the outer skin.
- Take a knitting needle and prick the walnuts once. Place in a pot with plenty of water to cover them.
- Boil till soft.
- Remove from the saucepan and put into a large bowl of cold water.
- Leave in the water for 48 hours, changing the water every 8 hours.
- Remove from the saucepan and put into a large bowl of cold water and add the juice of one lemon.
- Leave in the water for 1 hour, this will make them crunchy and shiny.
- Put the 400ml of water and the sugar together in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Drain the nuts and put them into the syrup and boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and put to one side for 24 hours. The walnuts need to stay in the saucepan to cool for 24 hours. At no time should you put the lid on the saucepan.
- Put the saucepan back on to boil and boil rapidly, when it is ready (the syrup thickens) add the juice of one lemon, boil for a little and remove from the heat.
- Add the cinnamon and the cloves.
- (The preparation time doesn't include the waiting time. Cooking time only approximately).
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a wife, mother, beekeeper, food addicted and lover of nature as well as travels. Travelling I discovered the pleasures for the food, his colors, taste and spices. Now I?m really devoted to food photography and I love experimenting with new recipes to share them with my family and the world. My main inspirations: Italy: my roots Switzerland: homeland Greece: adopted homeland Travelling: spices and dreams Herbs and Bees: education in biology Colors and shapes: love eat with eyes as well