Fresh Cherry Rhubarb Pie
photo by bakedapple42
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 4 cups fresh sour pie cherries, pitted
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 nine inch pie crusts (top and bottom)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugars, cinnamon, cloves, salt, and tapioca.
- Toss in the pitted cherries and the rhubarb pieces. Let sit for a few minutes, then drain off any juice before pouring the filling into the crust.
- Top the filling with the butter pieces.
- Adjust top crust, remember to fold over and seal together the edges of the top and bottom crusts to prevent leakage.
- Cut slits in the top crust, brush the edges of the crust with water, and sprinkle a little white sugar over the top.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Cover top crust loosely with a piece of foil, turn pie around, and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly (but not bubbling over).
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Cherry pies made with fresh cherries are notoriously juicy so don't expect the slices to hold their shape very well It is lovely served with ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!