French Onion Soup With a Twist
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is French onion soup to which I have added leeks & shallots. I have also added Oka cheese to the topping to celebrate my Canadian roots & my home province of Quebec.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 large onions (I like Mayan sweet)
- 1 large leek
- 2 thinly sliced french shallots
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups homemade beef stock (or 3 cans beef consomme)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup of canadian beer
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 crusty French baguette
- 1⁄2 cup grated emmenthaler cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere or 1/2 cup Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated oka cheese (If you can't get Oka substitute any cheese you like. Good candidates Gouda, mozzarella, Edam)
- Slice onions, leeks and shallots very thinly.
- Heat butter in soup pot just until melted.
- Add onions, leeks, shallots and pepper; saute until onions begin to caramelize or become a light golden brown.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir until traces of flour disappear.
- Gradually add beef stock or consomme, stirring, then beer and water and bay leaf.
- Boil at moderately high heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Taste soup; add salt and pepper if desired.
- Turn soup into individual broiler-proof bowls.
- Toast baguette slices in toaster oven until crisp.
- Place baguette slices on top of soup in bowls.
- Sprinkle top of each bowl with a generous amount of cheese.
- Place bowls under broiler until cheese melts and turns brown and bubbles.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation