Fran's Fantastic Spaghetti
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 45mins
- 16 ounces spaghetti noodles
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato paste
- ketchup, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- salt & pepper
- ricotta cheese (optional) or parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)
- Chop up bell pepper & onion.
- Crush garlic or chop very finely.
- Cut sausages into 3/4-inch sections.
- Also, start shaping your meatballs from mixture (meatballs should be be about a 1-inch sphere).
- Preheat grill on a moderate heat (I suggest using a grill to precook your sausages and meatballs, rather than a frying pan).
- In stock pot on a moderate heat, empty diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, bell pepper, parsley, oregano, basil & garlic (Depending on juice in diced tomatoes, you may need to add a bit of water here, remember, you don't want this to be too runny; it will cook down, but you want to add water gradually).
- While spaghetti sauce is heating up, grill sausages and meatballs until the outside is brown, and insides still a bit pink.
- Now add your sausages & meatballs into spaghetti sauce (If you don't have enough room on grill to cook both at the same time, don't worry, just cook the sausages first and add them, then continue with the meatballs).
- Now the spaghetti sauce should be starting to "take"; Add salt and pepper to taste (Be careful, it will be hot).
- Add ketchup, this is to taste also, Ketchup gives it a bit of a kick, which is good in certain amounts, but can overpower the spaghetti if you're not careful.
- Place lid on spaghetti and continue cooking for 5-7 hours (the longer the better) Make sure you stir spaghetti regularly, and add water as needed.
- Cook pasta according to directions on the packet & drain.
- When preparing the spaghetti, it's best to add your ricotta cheese to the hot noodles and mix gently so it melts in with it (Some people don't like the look of little white cheese bits in their spaghetti, hence the optional).
- Top with large amounts of spaghetti sauce, including the wonderful meatballs and sausage.
- Sprinkle parmesan over the top of spaghetti.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!