- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk, hot
- 4 cups pasta, such as penne, ziti, rigatoni etc
- 3 cups Fontina cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
- Cook pasta until just done. Don't overcook. Drain and place in large bowl.
- Over medium heat in medium sized pot melt the butter.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until just browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook for approx 3 minutes or until the bitter taste of the flour is gone. Do not brown.
- Add the hot milk and cook until just thickened.
- Add the seasonings to your taste.
- Combine the sauce with 2 cups of the cheese until melted. Add to pasta in bowl and mix.
- Spray a large casserole dish with non stick coating and pour in the pasta mixture. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 25 minutes or until bubbling.
Join The Conversation
This was a hit at my house tonight... even my "eat like a bird" daughter went back for seconds! I did "doctor this up" a bit, but I'm sure it's yummy as written. I added about 1/4 lb of bacon, cooked 'til crisp and used about 4 1/2 cups of milk, and a full pound of penne. When the mushrooms were sauteeing, I sprinkled them with a little garlic powder, and chopped up a couple of fresh sage leaves and threw those in (maybe 2 tsp). I stirred the sauce into the pasta, mixed in the bacon and baked it 'til bubbly. I can't wait to have the leftovers tomorrow for lunch!