Flan (Japanese or Asian Style)
photo by choimyeong
- Ready In:
- Put milk on low heat and then add sugar. Stir well and when the sugar melts, stop the heat and cool for a minute. Make sure you don't let the milk boil.
- Break the eggs in a bowl and stir well.
- Slowly pour the milk from step 1 into the bowl from step 2. Add some vanilla.
- Pour the mix from step 3 through a strainer. This makes the flan smoother.
- Make the caramel sauce in a pot and stir quickly over high heat. When it becomes brown remove from heat and divide it evenly into the four cups.
- Pour mix from step 4 into the cups over the caramel sauce.
- Fill a pot with water an put a steamer above it. When the water starts steaming stop the heat and put the cups in the steamer. Don't burn yourself! After 2-3 minutes on high heat lowere the hat and steam for another 13-15 minutes. When you put it on low heat move the lid a bit so some of the steam will escape. The point is to maintain it on low heat. And put a towel under the lid so your flan doesn't get wet!
- Poke a hole in the flan with a tooth pick if juice doesn't come out it's done!
- Top it whipped or fruit or both for the teacup people and for the plastic cup people tilt it upside down and slide it on a plate brown side up. Trust me it'll be GOOD!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!