Five Spice Apple Crumble
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 1 kg apple, peeled and cored
- 1 handful raisins
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 100 ml water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest or 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
For the Crumble Mixture
- 180 g ground almonds
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 50 g unsalted butter, softened
- 50 g sliced almonds
For the Ginger Cream
- 300 g creme fraiche
- 1 -2 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC / Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease an oven-proof dish.
- Roughly chop the apples into bite-sized chunks and place in a large saucepan.
- Add the raisins, 5-spice and about 100mls of water.
- Cover with a lid and leave to cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the crumble topping in a large mixing bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the orange zest or orange extract to the cooked apples and stir well.
- Pour the apple mixture into the prepared dish. Cover with the crumble mixture and spread it out fully to give an even topping.
- Bake for about 25 mins in the oven, until golden brown.
- To make the Ginger Cream, simply combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve the hot crumble with a dollop of the Ginger Cream on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!