Firecracker Orange Chicken Buns
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins, cut into thirds
- 1 cup cornstarch
- bao bun, prepared according to package instructions
- fresh parsley leaves
- sesame seeds
- scallion, thinly sliced
- kewpie mayonnaise
- Add the honey, soy sauce, orange juice and zest, sriracha, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, ginger powder, and salt to a bowl. Whisk well and set aside.
- Heat about 3 inches of oil in a Dutch oven to 375°F.
- Add cornstarch to a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken in the flour, shake off excess, and fry for 4-5 minutes. Drain on a rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Pour the sauce mixture into a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Let the mixture come to a simmer and let cook for 1 – 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and toss to coat.
- To build the sandwiches, place parsley leaves in the buns, then top with 3 – 4 chicken pieces, sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions. Top with a squeeze of Kewpie.
Questions & Replies
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!