Zhir Ma Bao (Black Sesame Filling for Buns)
This was by far the most sinful and delicious of all the bun fillings I found in China. Made from rich, crunchy black sesame seeds and rock sugar, or from black sesame tahini and fine sugar for a more paste-like consistency, this desert filling is absolutely divine in the fluffy filled bun recipe.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 - 1 cup black sesame seed
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar, the less finely ground the better
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Toast sesame seeds very lightly (be careful, black sesame becomes very bitter if overtoasted.).
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to the boiling water, dissolve.
- Combine 1/4 cup remaining sugar, sesame seeds, and 1 tbs peanut oil in a blender or masher.
- Process or crush to desired fineness – it can be anything from a gritty paste to a smooth filling.
- Add the hot water and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and the remaining 1 tbs oil during the grinding process to adjust sweetness, consistency, and smoothness to taste.
- NOTE: This recipe should yield a very sesame-flavored, gritty paste after 5 – 10 minutes of start-stop processing without any extras.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
i just made this in the blender and i'm a little sad because i should have toasted the sesame seeds more in order to get the richness and aroma but i was afraid of burning it. i made this to make zhi ma tang yuan. i think if i didn't make that personal error, this would have been perfect. also i did not have peanut oil but i put in a sesame oil blend that also contained peanut oil. i am very grateful that you posted this because it's the only one on zaar.