Fiaker Goulash With Sacher Sausages
photo by Rinshinomori
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 2 1⁄4 lbs stewing beef (any kind)
- 2 -3 sacher sausages (optional) or 4 frankfurters (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 onions, large
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes, paste
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- water (to cover the meat)
- ground pepper
- 4 eggs
- butter (for frying eggs)
- 4 pieces gherkins (pickled)
- Cut the onions in strips, the meat in cubes, and crush the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pot and fry onions on medium heat until golden brown. Add the paprika powder and tomato paste, stir, and quickly pour in the vinegar and a little water.
- Mix the cubed meat with salt and pepper, and add to the pot. Stir in the garlic, marjoram, bay leaves and caraway, and pour in enough water so that the meat is covered.
- Stir, and simmer on medium heat, semi-covered, for about 2 1/2 hours. Stir from time to time, and add water to keep the meat submerged partially at all times. Do not let the mixture dry out or burn.
- After 2 1/2 hours, take the pot off the stove and place in a 300 degrees F oven covered for about 45 minute.
- Meanwhile, heat water for the sausages. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a pan, and fry the eggs to your liking. Slice the gherkins in the shape of a fan.
- When the goulash is ready, stir vigorously and serve on warmed plates. Place the fried egg on top of the goulash, and one sausage on the side. Garnish with gherkins.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
You can find me reviewing book, magazine and online recipes with a name of Rinshin at eatyourbooks.com.