- Ready In:
- 2 (400 g) cans condensed milk
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 250 g butter
- 100 ml liquid glucose
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 400 g chopped white chocolate (you can use mlk or dark)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray and line with non-stick baking paper, a 20 x 30 cm, quite deep (at least 4 cm) tin, or 2 smaller tins.
- Place all ingredients, except the chocolate and vanilla, in a large heavy based saucepan and stir over medium heat until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil and boil gently until it becomes very thick and changes colour to a dark caramel brown paper shade – about 6 minutes, to the soft ball stage, 116°C on a sugar thermometer.
- Stir often to prevent it catching on the bottom – I find a silicon spatula the best gadget to stir with.
- Remove from heat and stand until the bubbles subside.
- Stir in the chocolate and vanilla until melted and smooth.
- Pour into the prepared tin and smooth the surface.
- Cool to room temperature (about 3 hours) then refrigerate until firm.
- Cut into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 weeks – if you’re lucky.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm in the southern most part of the world. In Invercargill New Zealand. I live with my husband Milton, our two boys Alexander (22 September 2004) and Mason (21 November 2006) and our daughter Ruby (18 April 2008). We also have four burmese cats, Rastus, Morte, Ophelia and Loki. And we have a fish called Newton (and Gary the snail) I have also just started playing tag in the New Zealand/Australia forum. <img src="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/bb_babe626/AUST5.jpg"> <img src="http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZaarBanners/recipetag2-1.jpg">