MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This delicious recipe, which I have probably had for over 20 years, is from Sunset Magazine.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt, as needed
- 4 cups water
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs grated monterey jack cheese
- red enchilada sauce
- Cut the pork meat into 1 1/2" cubes
- Put the meat into a large saucepan and cook with 1/4 cup water, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the drippings are very brown.
- Stir frequently during this step.
- Add the onion, carrot, chili powder, oregano, garlic, salt and 4 cups water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring often, until the liquid has evaporated.
- Cool and shred the meat mixture.
- Lightly fry the tortillas in oil on each side until soft.
- Put the meat and cheese inside each tortilla, roll, and put the seam side down in a greased 9 x 13" pan.
- Top with the enchilada sauce and any remaining cheese.
- Bake in a 400F oven for 20-30 minutes, or until everything is very hot.
- Remove from oven.
- [At this point I like to sprinkle the tops of the enchiladas with a little cut up lettuce, diced tomato, sliced black olives, and a dab of sour cream.]
- Serve at once.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION