Elsie's Welsh Rarebit
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb hard hoop cheese (2 cups) or 1/2 lb extra-sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 4 slices rustic bread, lightly toasted (1/2-inch thick, pain de campagne)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, egg yolks, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and horseradish; set aside.
- Whip the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Put the bread slices in a baking dish; spread the cheese mixture over them.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is puffy and bubbly-brown around the edges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!