This is from the Hamilton Bed and Breakfast Inn, and is their specialty recipe. I hope you enjoy! This recipe is Southern, using red onions and cheddar cheese. It's also made alot in the Northeast, where they make alot of cheddar cheese.
- Ready In:
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped (or scallions, or fresh chives)
- 1 teaspoon heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- parsley (to garnish) or fresh chive blossoms (to garnish)
- In a mixing bowl break eggs and add salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add a level teaspoon of smooth Dijon mustard. Mix thoroughly and set aside. Prepare some finely chopped red onions or scallions or fresh chives. Have ready a fine grater, cheese, heavy cream and sprigs of parsley or fresh chive flowers for garnish.
- In a large heavy saucepan place a teaspoon of butter and set over very low heat. When the butter is melted swirl to coat the bottom of the pan and add the egg mix. Stir continuously with a wooden spatula. When the eggs start to firm up and just before they are ready, add the cream and continue stirring.
- For the best flavor and texture the eggs must be cooked slowly and stirred continuously. The eggs are cooked when they are still moist but well formed. Spoon onto a warm serving dish and sprinkle with the chopped onions or chives. Finely grate the cheese over the eggs, garnish with sprigs of parsley or chive flowers and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Serves: 2.