Eggplant & Zucchini Napoleon
This elegant & tasty vegetable side dish was enjoyed on our recent cruise & found in *The Carnival Experience* cookbook by Peter Leypold (Exec Chef of Carnival Cruise Lines). This is a flavor-filled & easy-fix dish that can be the star of a meal when paired w/a simple entree (or leftovers) & would be excellent as a luncheon entree or welcomed as a pot-luck dish. *Enjoy* !
- Ready In:
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F & cut eggplant + zucchini into lengthwise slices.
- Combine olive oil, thyme, organo + garlic & mix well. Lightly brush eggplant & zucchini slices w/oil mixture.
- Heat lrg non-stick skillet over med-heat. Cook vegetable slices 30 seconds on ea side.
- In an 11 x 7-in baking dish, layer eggplant, zucchini, 1 1/2 cups of the tomato sauce + the cheese. Repeat layering as needed.
- Bake 10-15 min or till heated through. Cut into 6 servings (approx 3x2 in) & serve immediately w/approx 1 tbsp of the remaining 1/2 cup marinara sauce atop ea serving.
- NOTE: Feel free to sub for the marinara sauce w/another tomato-based & meatless spaghetti or lasagna sauce of choice.