- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 3⁄4 cup pasta sauce
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine seasonings, oat bran, oats, and egg replacement powder.
- Add pasta sauce and mix thoroughly.
- Add ground beef and mix thoroughly (I knead it with my hands like a bread dough, folding over a side and pressing in). The oats will absorb liquid as you mix, creating a firmer texture. You can let this sit for a few minutes to thicken as well.
- Put 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Form the mixture into small meatballs, about an inch in diameter.
- Cook the meatballs about 5 minutes, until crispy and browned on one side, then turn. Turn again to brown as much surface as possible.
- If you opened up a fresh jar of pasta sauce, pour the rest over the cooked meatballs and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve on fresh rolls (I use http://www.food.com/recipe/potato-buns-bread-machine-412701) or over pasta.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I've always loved cooking and baking, starting as a kid making barbeque sauces, cookies, and pies. My husband is allergic to eggs, milk, and soy, which adds a whole new dimension to cooking. Forget Iron Chef's secret ingredient! I love the challenge of baking and cooking without certain staples. It means a lot of trial and error, but a lot of satisfaction when a recipe works out!