Easy One-Bowl Oatmeal Molasses Bread
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1 (8 g) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄8 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons wheat bran or 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 - 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- Using regular stand mixer attachments, combine the yeast, sugar, whole wheat flour, oats, cornmeal, mashed potato flakes, wheat germ (or bran), and salt.
- Mix water with buttermilk and heat to 130°F While at that temperature, mix into combined cereal. Beat for several minutes.
- Add molasses and butter.
- Switch to dough hook attachments and work in white flour until dough forms a ball.
- Cover mixer bowl with a warm, damp towel and allow to rise for 60-90 minutes (until dough has doubled in size).
- Pulse dough hooks to punch down dough. Shape and place into a greased loaf pan. Allow to rise again.
- Optional: Brush top of dough with water and sprinkle some oats on top.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.
- Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!