Easy Cheese and Onion Bread
I was searching for a quick bread recipe without all the time and work it takes to knead dough and then wait for it to rise. I searched Food Network.com and found a recipe for "Beer Bread". Although simple and fast to make, I did not like the taste of it. So I altered the ingredients and experimented a bit and after just two trys, I came up with this version. I was so pleased with it....I felt compelled to share it with others who like me, want a quick homemade bread that everyone will love! Make sure your oven is the required temperature. Let cool before slicing otherwise it will crumble and fall apart. When slicing, use a very sharp knife and saw gently while pressing down to get the best results. This bread is great with stews, chili, heartly soups, and open faced turkey or beef sandwiches. Very filling!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (pre-sifted or sift yourself)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces milk (whole or low fat)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add milk, water, butter, cheese, and onions.
- Stir until mixed.
- Dough should be a bit moist but not watery. Should look very sticky and lumpy.
- Scoop into greased bread pan. (cooking spray works fine).
- Even out with a spoon so top is completely flat.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I accidentally doubled the onion and was glad for the mistake because it was delish! I also added 2 tbsp Italian seasoning and 1 tbsp oregano to the dough. I also brushed the top of the bread with butter and sprinkled seasonings on top (including some chili flakes) before baking. I used a loaf tin and the bread was admittedly a bit raw in the middle after 55 min. I put it back into the oven for another 10 mins. and it was perfect.Reply