Dutch Oven Pear & Rhubarb Kuchen #RSC
photo by rr47er42
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pear halves
- 2 cups rhubarb
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 2 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cool not cold and cut into 6 patties
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup cake flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- Drain the pears into a large colander and set aside.
- Peel and wash the rhubarb, then slice in half length wise, and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place the rhubarb in a large saucepan, and add the water, lemon juice and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring frequently, cooking the rhubarb until completely softened. Continue cooking until the mixture just starts to thicken. Set aside to cool on a wire rack, while preparing the rest of the recipe.
- Using Reynolds Wrap® Foil, line a 10-inch/5-quart Dutch oven with two, 24-inch strips and lay across each other forming an “X”. Using cake flour; grease and flour the aluminum foil. The aluminum foil is used as handles to lift the Kuchen from the Dutch oven. Also makes cleaning the Dutch oven easier.
- Set the oven rack in the middle position, and preheat the oven to 375º.
- Place the flour, baking powder, salt and the remaining sugar in an electric stand mixer bowl. Attach the wire whip, and at speed 1, mix for 15 seconds to combine the ingredients.
- Attach the flat beater, and at speed 1, add the butter patties one piece at a time, mixing until you have small crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream, and add to the crumb mixture. Attach the dough hook, and at speed 2, mix until the dough clings to the hook.
- Pour the dough into the Dutch oven. Arrange the pears, cut side down over the dough. Spoon the rhubarb over the peaches.
- For the topping, in a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the cream and almonds, and gently mix with a fork until moist crumbs form. Sprinkle over the pears and rhubarb.
- Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 15 minutes, remove the lid and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Then gently remove the Kuchen from the Dutch oven, using the aluminum foil as handles, and set on a wire rack to cool.
- Place the Kuchen on a cake stand, and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!