Dulce Argentino (Aka Really Yummy Caramel Roll Cake)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 7mins
- Beat egg whites until fluffy.
- Add sugar, flour and egg yolks, beat 3-4 minutes.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Pour batter onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven 7-10 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove from oven and turn out onto damp cheese cloth and roll up.
- Wait to cool, then unroll.
- Pour 1 can Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk into double-boiler pan; cover.
- Place over boiling water, cook over water, stirring occasionally, for 60 to 75 minutes, or until thick and light caramel.
- Remove from heat, beat until smooth with dash of vermouth (make sure consistency is thick).
- Let caramel (dulce de leche) cool COMPLETELY, place in refrigerator to cool.
- Spread dulce de leche on unrolled cake, then roll again.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I greased the pan and still couldn't get the cake out. It doesn't say what size "cookie sheet." I assumed one with sides on it, not a flat one. "Fluffy" was a little vauge for me- stiff peaks, or foamy? Because I must say, I went with foamy and that didn't work out. It doesn't say what size can of condensed milk, either. It needs to be more specific, all around.
I made this the other day and it was YUMMY! It took a really long time to make but it was worth it. The cake tastes very spongy and light. The caramel sauce is super sweet on its own but once you spread it on the cake and roll it back up, the caramel is soaked into the cake. Neat, huh? I put my cake into the fridge but I'm not sure if I was supposed to. This cake reminds me faintly of French Toast! I would definitely make this cake again and recommend this recipe to others.