Door County Fish Boil (Sort Of.....)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 10 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup salt (can increase up to 1 cup)
- 3 lbs potatoes (Red "B" size, scrubbed, skin-on)
- 2 lbs white pearl onions (peeled & whole)
- 6 -8 lbs fish (FRESH water Whitefish or Lake Trout, preferred)
- 1 lb butter, melted (NOT margerine)
- lemon wedge
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Stir the salt into the water & bring to a boil.
- Place the potatoes & onions into the wire basket & lower into the boiling water.
- When water returns to a boil, cover & boil for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Cut the fish in a diagonal, into about 4-5 inch chunks.
- Remove potatoes & onions when done, drain well & empty into a bowl & keep warm.
- Place the fish into the basket & lower into the same boiling water.
- Be sure fish are completely submerged.
- Cover & boil fish for approx 10-12 minutes or until fish if white & tender. DO NOT overcook.
- Remove fish from boiling water & drain well.
- Serve with the potatoes, onions, melted butter & lemon wedges. garnished with fresh parsley.
- If desired, serve with freshly made cole slaw & fresh rolls or bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><strong>The only thing I like better than cooking, is eating! I learned a lot about cooking from my Dad & an ornery old Norwegian cook, that I used to work for. <br />I don't get into fancy foods...just good ol' down-home, stick-to-your-ribs vittles...I'm a COOK...NOT a Chef! I <span>LUV</span> to bbq & grill!!<img title=Cool src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif border=0 alt=Cool /> Except for pies, I don't do much baking, such as cookies, bars or cakes...that's the wife's dept. & believe me, she does a mighty FINE job!!! <br />I'm a firm believer that flavored coffee & flavored beer should be OUTLAWED & I will NOT eat Lima Beans or Lutefisk...YUK!!! <img title=Yell src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif border=0 alt=Yell /><br />Our favorite place to eat is Old Abe's...a local supper club located on a wooded back-road! We also enjoy Panera Bread, Dickey's BBQ & Picanha Brazillian Steak House!!!<br />I've been married since 1977 to the most wonderful lady a man could ever ask for. We have 9 beautiful Grandkids...5 girls 4 boys, a VERY SPOILED white German Shephard (Tori) & a VERY goofy cat (Angel)! (Both of these are rescued animals.) <br />We collect antique gasoline engines & attend several shows here in the Midwest.I also enjoy ice fishing, Milwaukee Brewers baseball, WI Badger football, but most of all, we're HUGE GREEN BAY PACKERS Fans!!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!!</strong></p> 8724987"